Those who met Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) and spent their time with him are known as his companions (Sahaba), but in history lived a man who was a Tabe’en but was raised to the rank of Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) without meeting Him.
Who was the Honored man?
The prestigious honor was for Awais Qarni (رضي الله عنه). He was born in village Qarn and belonged to the Murad tribe in a district of Yemen. His father, Aamir was a god-fearing man and taught him Islamic education until he died leaving Awais at a young age. Since the family was poor Awais couldn’t afford higher education and devoted himself towards praying, fasting and serving his old blind mother.
What was his love for the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم)?
The love of Awais Qarni (رضي الله عنه) is iconic in the history of Islam. It was his undefined love for the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) and the Mighty creator that elevated his status and earned him all every Sahaba even wished for. When he came to know that in the battle of Ohad in 625CE, Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) got his tooth martyred he broke all his tooth out of love and affection. Read more: Sultan Noor-ud-Din Zengi, A Great Islamic leader who Protected the Grave of Holy Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم)
Did he meet the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم)?
Awais Qarni (RA) had a strong wish of meeting the Holy Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم). When he came to know that the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) migrated to Madinah Munawwara he planned to meet him but his blind mother can’t be left alone so he skipped his wish. Read more: 1,400 Years old, Water still flows in Uthman (رضي الله عنه) well in Madinah
Did the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) know him?
The Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) surely knows about the great saint and his love for him. He said,
“There is a man among my followers whose prayers the Almighty would accept for the salvation of Muslims for as many times as the number of hairs on the bodies of the sheep belonging to the tribes of Rabia and Mazar”.
The two tribes were known for their huge flock of sheep.
What was the Message Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) gave?
He told the companions that Awais Qarni (RA) won’t meet Him, neither will he meet Abu Bakr (رضي الله عنه) but Hazrat Umar (رضي الله عنه) and Hazrat Ali (رضي الله عنه) will meet the pious man and asked them to deliver His message after giving them his details.
“He has thick hair all over his body and he has a white mark on the palm of his right hand. This mark is not leucoderma but a spot the size of a dirham left by a disease which the Almighty cured. Hazrat Qarni (RA) requested that a mark be left there for him to see and to thank God for curing him of that dreadful disease. When you meet him, convey my salaam to him and request him to pray for the salvation of the Ummah on the Day of Resurrection.”
What kept the Companions Shocked?
When Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) was told them to ask Awais Qarni (RA) to pray for them the companion went in shock. Since he was a Taba’e and never met Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) so how could his prayers be this worthy to which the Prophet said,
“He has served his mother so well that whenever he raises his hands to ask Allah, Allah doesn’t send those hands back empty.”
What did Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) gifted to Awais Qarni (RA)?
In the last days of Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم), He asked his companions Umar (رضي الله عنه) and Ali (رضي الله عنه) to pass on his Jubba, robe (the blessed cloak) to Awais Qarni (RA) and ask him to pray for the Ummah forgiveness. Read more: Uthman Ibn Affan (رضي الله عنه) and his Current Bank Account
How did Umar (RA) meet Awais Qarni(RA)?
Umar (RA) went to perform hajj every year and searched for Awais Qarni (RA). After 10 years of Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) and the last years of his caliphate, once when he went to Hajj at the Day of Arafat he asked the pilgrims to stand up. When everyone stood up he asked them to sit except the pilgrims of Kufa. When they were left standing he asked them to sit except the tribe of Murad. He then asked them to sit except the people of Qarn. When only one man left standing at the Arafat he asked him:
- Are You Qarni?”
- He replied with yes. Then he was asked, “Do you know Awais?”
- The man replied, “Yes, I know him, he is my nephew but he is a bit crazy, why do you ask about him?”
- Umar (r.a.) began to cry and said, “He is not crazy, it seems you are the crazy one.”
- He then asked, “Where is he, has he come to hajj?”
- His uncle replied, “He has come but he has gone towards Arafat to graze his camels.”
What happened at the meeting?
Umar (رضي الله عنه) ran towards Arafat along with Ali (رضي الله عنه) where he saw a man offering prayers under a tree shade and the camels were grazing around him. They waited until Awais Qarni (RA) realized some people are waiting for him. When he finished,
- Umar (RA) asked, “Who are you?”
- He replied, “I am a worker.”
- He asked, “What is your name?”
- He replied, “Abdullah (The servant of Allah)”
- Umar (r.a) then said, “We are all the servants of Allah, I am asking you the name which your mother called you with.”
- Awais Qarni didn’t recognise them and said, “Who are you to ask me?”
- Then Ali (رضي الله عنه) said, “This is Ameer ul mumineen Umar ibn Khattab and I am Ali Ibn Abi Talib”.
- Then Owais Qarni shocked and made Salam to them saying, “I apologise, I didn’t recognise you”.
- Umar (RA) said, “Raise your hands (in supplication for us), and Raise your hands….”
- He exclaimed, “How can I raise my hands for you? Me? What is my significance that I make Dua for you?”
- He heard the reply, “Yes, we were ordered by the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم), if you see Owais, then you must ask for his dua, When he raises his hands for Dua, it is answered.”
Then Owais Qarni made a Dua for them.
What happened when Awais Qarni (RA) was gifted the Robe?
When Umar (رضي الله عنه) and Ali (رضي الله عنه) gave the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) robe Qarni (RA) rubbed him across his face and cried. He didn’t wear it properly but placed it on his head and prayed to Allah to forgive the Muslim Ummah.
A voice came that a portion of the Ummah is pardoned. He again asked to forgive the Muslim fraternity, another voice came, we have pardoned a portion of the Muslim Ummah. Meanwhile, Umar (رضي الله عنه) and Ali (رضي الله عنه) got worried as he was not moving and called him to which he replied that if he had not disturbed him, he would have asked for the forgiveness of whole Muslim Ummah. Read more: After 25 years, Imam of Masjid-e-Nabwi moved back to Prophet’s Mihrab to offer 5 times prayers
What was Qarni (RA) wish?
Uzair Bin Jabir reported that once Umar (رضي الله عنه) asked him,
- “Where do you intend to go?”
- He said, “To Kufa.”
- Umar (RA) said, “Let me write a letter for you to its governor.”
- But Awais (RA) said, “I love to live among the poor people.”
Did Awais Qarni (RA) pray for everyone?
When Umar (RA) asked Owais Qarni to pray for him. He replied,
“I pray for the forgiveness of everyone at the end of every prayer. If you keep your faith in Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him), you will receive my prayers in your graves.”
What do the Great Writers Narrate?
- Hazrat Hasan Basri (RA) said that,
“He had seen Awais Qarni in a garment full of patches.”
- Imam Ghazali (RA) commented that,
“Qarni (RA) was so absorbed in prayer and oblivious to worldly affairs that people considered him to be mad.”
- Ibn Saad (RA) said that,
“The Holy Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) commented that within his ummah there would be a great, noble person known as Awais bin Abdullah Qarni (RA).”
- Imam Muslim named one full chapter of Hadith in Qarni’s name:
“The Virtues of Owais Qarni” in Sahih Muslim.
- Shaikh Fariduddin Attar wrote a complete chapter in his book “Tazkaratal Auliya” mentioning him as the 40 most distinguished Auliyas of the time.
What does Narration say about Awais Qarni (RA) Opting for Jannah?
Narration told, When people will be going to Jannah, Owais will be too as well. When he will get to the doors of Jannah, it will be said,
- “Everyone else can proceed apart from Owais.”
- Owais will become scared and will ask, “O Allah, why have you stopped me?”
- Allah will say, “You stay, let the rest go. Now, in front of you stand the people who are going to Hellfire, intercede for them, because of you thousands will be given Paradise. This is why I have stopped you that you may intercede. To whom, your finger points, I will give you those Jannah.”
How did Qarni (RA) die?
Different narrations speak differently about his death one says, He took part in the battle of Siffin alongside Ali (رضي الله عنه) in 37AH and was badly wounded to death at the age of 63 years. Whereas, the other narration says he was with the Muslim army in Azerbaijan where he got abdominal pains and died. However, he was buried at Al- Raqqah, Syria.